Case Study: October 2013
- 65 year old female with some odd stringy vitreous deposits, looking like ‘cobwebs’
- Apart from cataracts-fit.
- Fig1-H and E
- Fig 2-Congo Red
- Fig 3-Polarsised optics.
The diagnosis is straightforward here.
- The question is under what clinical scenarios is this pathological appearance seen?
Click to show answers
This is vitreous amyloid.
- The following scenarios are associated with vitreous amyloid:
- Primary familial amyloidosis
- Familial amyloid polyneuropathy
- Non-familial vitreous amyloidosis (primary or secondary to systemic amyloid).